Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Most Brilliant Invention In The World Ever*

This arrived today. I'm an 80's teen, and as such I have quite a stack of VHS tapes gathering dust in various corners of the abode. I also have a strong aversion to chucking stuff out. If only there was some way of transferring all those old VHS tapes onto the computer or DVD. But wait. Here it is. The only downside is that it transfers videos in real time. So, if the show you're transferring lasts 30 minutes, it takes 30 minutes to convert. On the plus side, I rediscovered a recording of Sophie's Choice that I didn't know I had.

*After the iPod.

3 comments:

liz said...

Ooh...I've been researching these things for a while.

I have a PCTV (Pinnacle), which can be used for this (and I have used it for a few) , but am hesitant to burn so many DVDs on my computer. I wonder if one of those all-in-one jobbies would be better.

Let us know how this works over time! Especially the "cutting edge jiggery-pokery".

liz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jess said...

I got a machine to make tapes into DVDs. I did a bunch after it arrived but then, like my last gym membership, I stopped using it. Unlike the gym membership, I get back to it every now and then, but I really need to do more.