Saturday, October 14, 2006

The Boot

The frame may be gone, but in its place I have one of these to give my leg a bit of support over the next few weeks. It's what they refer to around the hospital as a 'moon boot'. You can see why.

The good news is that it's considerably more comfortable than the Ilizarov (not difficult), making walking a whole lot easier. Also it's removable - so I don't have to sleep on my back anymore. It's a lot less scary looking than the frame too.


I'll probably have to wear this for about six weeks, after which, perhaps I'll be able to wear a normal shoe (which I haven't done in 2-and-a-half years).

And another thing. I noticed in my notes that the orthotist at the hospital who fitted me for the boot wrote that I had been 'instructed in donning and doffing of the boot'. Until then, I'd never realised that 'doff' was the opposite of 'don'. I suppose it's obvious when you think about it... don/doff... on/off... I just never made the connection. Wow. You really do learn something every day. Not always anything useful, but still...

2 comments:

liz said...

Wow, and I was thankful to put on my regular shoes after only three months or so.

Good luck finding a mate (or handbag!) to go with that boot, BTW.

Big Al said...

If I could get another one the same, I would. It's surprisingly comfortable.