Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Work Is A Four-Letter Word

I have to do something about my working hours. Starting at 10am seemed, at first, like a great idea. The trains would be quieter at that time of day, I thought. No fighting over seats, I thought. Well, for the most part I was right. And not having to be up at some ridiculous time of the morning is also quite appealing.

Less appealing, though, is hanging around the office until 6:30pm, when most sensible people are at home watching the end credits on The Simpsons (and changing channel rapidly before Hollyoaks starts). Most people leave at 5:30, a few at 5:00, others at 4:30, and even a couple at 4:00.

If I got up a bit earlier, I guess I could the 7:55am train, which would mean (on a good day) getting into Glasgow at about 8:40, starting work at 9, finishing at 5:30, getting the 6:00 train home, and being home at about 6:50pm. I'd still have missed The Simpsons, but it's an improvement all the same.

No comments: