Sunday, November 21, 2004

Me And Mrs Malaprop

Not content with sending me incomprehensible text messages, my mum is developing a tendency to speak in malapropisms. Well, perhaps malapropisms isn't quite the right word, but it's close.

For example, whenever she has occasion to mention Ulrika Jonsson, the name always comes out as Eureka Jonsson - as if Archimedes had found a Scandanavian TV presenter in his bath.

Today was the annual Wintertainment festival here. Unless you were talking to my mum, in which case it became Winterama. Which, to be fair, is no worse than the correct name.

Finally, the game show Who Wants To Be A Millionaire is now named How To Be A Millionaire. Apparently.

1 comment:

liz said...

I have a German friend, Ulrike, who is engaged to one of my American colleagues. His parents invariably call her "Eureka," which completely fries his circuits. "She's not a vacuum cleaner!" He'll exclaim.