Monday, November 22, 2004

Who Are You, And What Have You Done With Big Al?

I'm considering starting working a couple of days, or maybe half-days, per week from the office instead of just working from home all the time. The company are quite eager to get me back to a more normal working pattern ASAP, which is flattering in a way, I suppose.

I don't know if all of my work colleagues will recognise me - a few haven't seen me since March (specifically those who didn't visit me in hospital, but I won't hold a grudge*). Back then, I estimate I was around 5 stone (or 70 pounds) heavier than I am now. That's hospital food for you.

Also, I had a slightly disastrous haircut at the weekend - I can't remember a time when it's ever been so short. In summer I wouldn't mind so much but Scotland recorded one of its coldest November nights in recent years on Saturday - and that's up against some strong competition. I'm concerned that my brain might freeze.

*Actually, I will. Bastards.

2 comments:

liz said...

Will you know be known as "Medium Al"?

Doesn't have quite the same ring, does it...

Big Al said...

Just to add to the confusion, there is already a 'Medium Al' in the office. There was a 'Wee Al' too, but he left. So now there is just 'Big Al' and 'Medium Al', although 'Big Al' is probably now smaller than 'Medium Al'. Should be fun explaining that to new-start employees.

I was going to comment that the moniker 'Big Al' did not necessarily refer to my weight, but I decided against it on the grounds of taste and decency*.

*And truthfulness.