Thursday, November 18, 2004

The Office

Not that I'm obssessive or anything, but I've been spending a probably unhealthy amount of time watching The Office on DVD of late. It's a good thing it's on DVD, as tapes would probably have worn out by now. I've been through the whole lot time and time again, including special features, deleted scenes, out-takes, even the Easter Eggs. I guess it's one of those rare shows (like The Simpsons) that stand up to repeated viewings.

Anyway, I think I now know who the real star of the show is; Not David Brent (Ricky Gervais). Not Tim (Martin Freeman). Not Gareth (Mackenzie Crook). Not Finchy (Ralph Ineson). Not even Keith, the Scotch-egg-munching office fat bastard played by Ewan Macintosh.

It's this bloke, the office caretaker played by Ron Merchant*.
Posted by Hello
He only appears in a couple of episodes, and always does the same thing. He'll walk out of the store-room carrying some supplies, then catch sight of the camera, and stare, transfixed, into it.

OK, it doesn't sound like much when written down. But it's funny. No, really.

*Ron is the father of The Office co-writer/-director Stephen Merchant - who also appeared in the show as Gareth's mate Nathan (aka The Oggmonster, described by David Brent as a "lanky goggle-eyed freak").

2 comments:

Name: Kirk Bage Born 1973, UK Writer & Actor said...

yeah, yeah, yeah - the office is genius (how many other British comedies have won 2 Golden Globes?) and that guy is hilarious! Made a promo for a new comedy with Ewan called "Cheap TV", it wasn't picked up by anyone but he is hilarious in it - he's a very funny guy naturally, dark, intelligent humour that pisses stupid people off, my favourite kind. Did you like the Christmas specials as much? I thought they were perfect in every way. Ricky Rules! Kx

Big Al said...

I think, after Ron's character, Keith is my favourite. I haven't seen Ewan in much else apart from a few spots on Little Britain.

Since you ask, I thought the Christmas specials were excellent too. Loved the bit where Brent finally tells Finchy to f*** off.

And the DVD would make a perfect Christmas present for a friend or relative, in case any of my friends or relatives are reading.

Worth a try.